Exploring the Vale
The Vale is a broad northern land, once thriving, but now mostly empty, at least as far as human civilization is concerned. Handfuls of villages and towns are scattered over its breadth, and abandoned farms, ruined manors, and broken keeps litter the countryside.
Bandits, wild animals, and even monsters roam freely outside the settled areas, and while roads and rivers can usually be navigated freely, they are far from safe.
Despite its northerly location, the Vale gets little snow, though winters are windy and bitterly cold, as the wind is free to pick up speed across the central flatlands. Summers too are cool and mild.
- Fallcrest: The most major human settlement in the Vale. It is a trade hub in the center of the Vale, with access to all the major roads and waterways.
- Hammerfast: A dwarven hold, cut from the rock of a deep valley in the Dawnforge Mountains.
- Barony of Harkenwold: A tiny realm to the south-east of the Vale, made up of half a dozen small villages along the White River.
- Winterhaven: A small town surrounded by a few miles of farmland and pastures, in the mountains on the west side of the Vale.
- Weilglen: A small town nestled in the northern branch of the Harken Forest, along the White River, about half way between Fallcrest and Harkenwold.